Since 1979, Thomas Shanley has represented those engaged in domestic law matters, including divorce, child custody, asset division and prenuptial and postnuptial agreements. When he founded The Law Office of Thomas M. Shanley, P.C. in 1988, Mr. Shanley committed to maintaining a practice equally balanced between male and female clients. His experience and his attention to detail allows him to represent clients with significant and complex assets to divide. Former clients include professionals (or their spouses) such as: physicians, corporate executives with substantial compensation and severance packages, senior partners of nationally recognized law and accounting firms, employees in the financial sector such as hedge fund owners, directors, asset managers, and those from private equity, as well as individuals with family owned business interests and trusts. Tom has also represented individuals, or spouses of individuals, in the entertainment industry such as award-winning TV show producers and directors, and athletes.
No matter how complex the family law case, Mr. Shanley always strives to achieve workable solutions through compassionate guidance and strong advocacy through every step of the divorce process to ensure a just and fair settlement or ruling. Mr. Shanley acknowledges the uniqueness of each clients’ needs and he is incredibly responsive.
He has been recognized over the past years in CT Super Lawyer Magazine, New England’s Super Lawyer section of Top Attorneys, Top Lawyer in New Canaan, Darien Magazine, and the “Top 522 Attorneys in 67 Practice Areas” by Greenwich Magazine.
- AV® Preeminent™ Peer Review Rated by Martindale-Hubbell®
- Listed in the Bar Register of Preeminent Lawyers™ by Martindale-Hubbell®
- Serves as Special Master Family Division of Connecticut Superior Court, 1983 – present
- Director and Treasurer, Fairfield University Alumni Association, 1983 – present
- Greenwich, Connecticut Bar Association Monthly Seminar Series, Family Law Section
- Lecturer, “The Anatomy of A Divorce” Trial Series Lectures, 1987 – 1988
- Co-Chairperson, 1989
- Lecturer, Family Law Seminar, “Relocation Issues in Custodial Disputes,” Feb., 1992
- Lecturer, Family Law Seminar, “Settlement and The Short Term Marriages and Inherited Property”), Nov., 1992
- Connecticut, 1979
- U.S. District Court, District of Connecticut, 1979
- U.S. Supreme Court, 1986
- J.D., with honors, New York Law School, 1979
- Fairfield University, 1976
- American Bar Association
- Family Law Section
- Greenwich, Connecticut Bar Association
- Executive Committee of Family Law Committee
- The Association of Trial Lawyers of America
- The Patterson Club Board of Directors
- Past Member